Sunday, September 13, 2015

A Slice of Humble Pie


I've been know to be terrible about asking for help. I could list excuses or dredge out a sad backstory, but I know a-lot all of it comes down to pride. I like to think that I can do it all, that I can handle it. I'm Super Betsy - able to hold her life together with her own strength, skills and duct tape. I don't need assistance or support, I've got my street smarts (honed in the rough neighborhoods of Alta Loma, no less) and a fancy college diploma.

It's such a lie. I'm dependent every day on the grace and mercy of God. But not only that, I need the people around me. Their strengthens, their help, their wisdom. We are created to live in community, its throughout the Bible and is so evident in our lives.

I know that God is calling out this prideful streak in me. That while I like to lie to myself and say things like "it's just that I don't want to be a burden," the truth is that I want to be seen as having it all together.  But again and again He's placing me in situations where I have no choice but to ask for help. From sending me to a country where I didn't speak the language to putting on my heart the need to raise support for my next trip to Kenya to having a busted knee that doesn't let me push my own cart when I'm grocery shopping, the last few weeks have been tough. I've had to reach out for more prayer and be more open. I've had to admit that I really couldn't do something on my own and allow others to come alongside me.

It's been beautiful. I have been struck again and again by the amazingness of the people God has blessed me with.  To be able to rejoice in the fact that we've all be created differently - to get to see others use their strengths.

I'm still bad about asking for help. I've been chastised by my roommates for not asking for help taking stuff upstairs and I'm already trying to worm out of raising support. But God is working in me. Even in writing this post! When I wrote about getting to see others use their strengths, He reminded me that by not asking for help, I'm missing out of the beauty of seeing the Kingdom of Heaven work together. I always pray to be part of bringing heaven closer to Earth, and I'm learning that exposing my weaknesses and allowing others to show me grace can be a part of that.

No comments: