Thursday, September 10, 2015

A post for a slightly broken body

Some days seem difficult.

When you bust your knee and the time you've spent in the waiting room feels interminable. The drive to the hospital is lonely and your company at home is hundreds of ants that keep finding their way through crevices and into your lunch box. Lonely, hurting and emotional, you've got all the ingredients you need for a pity party of one.

But I am so blessed.

To live in a country where a busted knee can receive quality medical care. To have a job where the waiting room is just an annoyance of time, but not a place to worry if the bills will stack up so high that their payment means I may not eat. I have a car to drive and a home for their ants to find their way into. Friends and family to text and call, medicine to dull the pain and a God who listens to all my hurts, justified or not.

It's so easy to get caught up. To not see all the good and the joy and the blessing. To focus on the physical, the pieces of me that are so bound up in the world. I'm so thankful for the Holy Spirit, who whispers words of grace into my soul.

I'm not perfect. I've shed tears and felt frustrated throughout the day. But I also know, this is such a small part of my story - that to focus on it would endanger my ability to see the bigger picture. So I'm praying for the ability to keep it all in perspective



 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

2 Corinthians 5:1-5

No comments: